Sunday, March 11, 2007

Rock On ....





I always used to wonder why do director-producers announce their upcoming projects during Premier or while promoting their films. That is until now. Now, I know why. Sorry, can’t share it. It is a trade secret. So, keeping the traditions alive, allow me to join the ranks of Ghais, Chopras and Johars.

I am working on three films and they are in various stages of productions.

First one is titled “ Allah Calling” and it is set against 911 tragedy. It explores the human mind conditioned by late night shows, gossip magazines, hate propaganda and several thousands years of stereotyping. It is ready. I am delaying its release due to a technical reason.

The second one is titled “ Have a good Day!” Rafiq Bactha and Farina Parashar play main leads. I shot a few hours of footage with Rafiq and Farina. It is the story of a law-abiding immigrant from Bangladesh, who pays for crimes he never committed. It is satirical and addresses the current events in the world.

The third film that I wrote three years ago is titled “ Tarkash” It is a social comedy based in the US. I had Rohul Bose in my mind when I wrote it. Dekhte hain..

If you notice all four of my film have a common thread that is current events and preach peace and humanity. I agree they are boring subjects and that I have a problem here. How naive it is to think that a few films can win “hearts and minds” where $500.00 Billion dollars failed?

Mullah says no promoter in his right mind will touch your films man. Majority of audiences wants to be entertained and not enlightened on some issues they do not have to deal with. Get real man - make what they want and not what you want.

A writer/director friend from Mumbai visited Atlanta a few months back, and after watching my films remarked " What really matters Shahid is you are making the kinds of film you believe in -Rock On man!"

Rock on....

3 comments:

Shagufta said...

Shahid, you're on the right track! Forget what others tell you! Such movies are doing well. And Indian audiences have matured ! In fact, US is moving towards fantasy and magic, which we have left way behind with our mythologicals! If I had the money, I would promote your movies! :) Good luck!

Ye manzilen !! said...

Ek supporter mili bhi to woh bhi wagair " note-panni" wali. Khair. I appreciate your words Shag.

Dekhte hain...

It ain't over till the fat lady sings..( as they say in Opera)

Ye manzilen !! said...

..and Mullah means well bhai. He just does not want me to go "Guru Dutt way" - ( Chances of which get high at times), that's all. Kal Biwi kam se kam Grocery to kahreed sake...