Saturday, December 09, 2006

Shahid Sayed is Dead ....

(Born during Vietnam Crisis - Died during Iraq Crisis)-RIP

Yeah - this is how I thought it is going to be two weeks ago. I was convinced that my time is up and I will begin a new journey to meet my Lord, to go over the trivialities of life that he had me stuck for this long. But that was not to be, and I am alive but I ain't kicking anything.... there is nothing to kick anyways.

I had this chest pain and headache that started the night my friend and editor Jeff gave me the final copy of my film. And like most of Internet junkies I did my research on symptoms and concluded that this is an impending heart attack. I spoke with my friend L.V. who had a heart surgery two years ago, and who keeps pushing me to buy the stocks of those companies that make heart valves etc, it confirmed my worst fear......and the LIGHTS WENT OUT...

I was done - gone - Dead...well before anything drastic happened. My life changed in a few minutes. I was no longer interested in L.V.s insights on stocks and what MBA can do to my career. I stooped paying attention to all " the good news" and " the bad news" that we run into very often at lunchtime at Georgia State University Campus. I just wanted to die and get it over with. I have been under so much stress lately that any new stress was too much to take.

I went to the Doc and he did EKG twice. He put me on some muscle relaxing medicines and wanted my " blood". It was ironic to see a blonde "good news" nurse taking my shirt off, moving my pant to expose my leg so that she can put the sensors "all over" my body --- Oh how I wished for these occurrences when I was healthy and somewhat alive.....

I was at a Thanksgiving Party one night and I cried after hugging my friend A.S. telling him that I am going to die. Later, N told me that my crying was due to the tablet called " Chill Pill" that Doc had prescribed. I " cleaned " my apartment of any unwanted stuff that folks may discover next morning. I wrote my will and e-mailed it to my friends. I was freaking out thinking what if I die with leg up or hand in a wrong place or something like that. God, that would be so embarrasing - I wanetd to go as I had lived ie. Presentable! Now, I know why marriage is such a needed institution. It gives us a partner to straighten our legs and close our eyes after we are dead. How much that partner contributes towards that death is another matter.

I was sorry that I would never be able to see the leftist thinking of " jiye and jeene do" prevail. I was sad that by dying early I am giving a tremendous blow to my mom and to my friends. I was sad that I would not be able to express my emotions to someone precious that I have been holding for the last 18 years. I was sad that I would not be able to see peace and prosperity in Iraq, Kashmir, Palestine/Israel, Afghanistan, Africa and Chechnya.

I was sad this winter morning fogs that take over my apartment would be history. I was sad that no woman would smile at me when I yield at an un-signalized intersection. I was sad that there will be no one to pick the movie that arrives in the mail from blockbuster every week. I was sad knowing that my first film " Doosra Kinara" would be my last as well. I was sad that there will no more poetry from Javed Akhtar, Nida Fazli and Gulzar.

I was sad that K.S. will no longer be able to sunao me poetry of Rumi, Hafiz and Iqbal. He tried me to take interest in Iqbal and come out of Ghalib and Meer "Phase". I was sad that I will not see T, M, and M become expert lawyers and will not see Adi become a Yale alumni, surely would miss watching Faizan grow and settle in life. I was sad that I would not be able to take flowers to D.... I was sad that I will no be able to see the reactions of A, A, R, I, FK, and S to where my life is going.

The list is long....

But I am alive. Doc discovered nothing abnormal and suggested diet control and aerobics. He says it must have been a combination of stress and a panic attack. Since this incident I have realized how important it is to enjoy every minute of life with family and friends - to be thankful to whoever is up there, for letting me enjoy one more day of simply living.

PS: BTW those "good and bad news" that L.V. keeps talking about during lunch time NOW look more "good" then "bad" !!!!

1 comment:

Jyoti said...

thank god!! u come out of all your reasons to be "sad"...and u r alive..and i feel now u r really alive!!! deep from your heart!! cheer up S..mein hu na :)