Friday, September 22, 2006

Just passing through...

When I asked a friend of mine, D at work if he had his " breakfast" in the morning (he has a live in girl friend) his eyes did not light up. No smiles. Not many folks at work know what I mean when I ask about his breakfasts in the morning.

It did not take long to figure out what had happened. I wore my agony uncle cap and explained to him that betrayal and deceits lose their impact when you take a 25,000 ft view of it. That is where the art of detachment comes in. Detachment from everything worldly takes you to a different level of consciousness.

When we go to a new place as a tourist, we go through all kinds of experiences. We meet all kinds of white, black and grey people. We also encounter some sweetest people along the way. These folks unintentionally or by design provide us with what we later call “ experiences”. In the midst of all bittersweet experiences we never lose heart, we never lose hope, as we know all this is temporary and soon we will go back home. That very thought of things and affairs not being permanent keeps you going every day.

That is how one should look at life no mater where you are. Nothing will remain forever. No betrayal will stay longer than you want it to. You will do excellent if you remind yourself that " I am just passing through..."

My 8th grade teacher introduced me to a book called " Himakaten" from Shafiq-ur-rehmaan. In that book he writes that he wants to live his life like a tourist. He wants to observe the life from a distant. I reckon this was his way to safeguard against daily betrayals and shocks.

So next time when someone hurts you very deep…say it to yourself “ I am just passing through” and see the magic work for you.

ps: BTW I am too just passing thru!!!!

No comments: