Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Dil Dhadakne ka Sabab Yaad Aaya..

During my last visit to India, I experienced a "Philosophically -Romantic" moment. That moment came, tried to grab my attention and after receiving a well deserved attention - went away. As usual I found some humor in it.

Later that day I met a friend and asked him ke " Aakhri baar tera dil kab dhadka tha?" His response generated a good laugh but also made me realize that this issue needs further investigation. I made some phone calls to some well settled, happily married friends and explained what I meant by " Dil Kab dhadka?" and here are some of the responses:

1: Friend A, Married for 9 years - two kids, Businessman.
He thought about it for a L O N G time and then said " Yaar sach bataoon to yaad nahi."

2: Friend B, Married for 8 years - one child, job
He was nostalgic " Shaadi ke Shuru shuru main yaar"

3: Friend C, Married for 8 years, two kids, Real Estate
He took a deep breadth " Jaane de ...tu bhi kaise kasie swaal karta hai?"

I hope you all are with me on this. I did not call some other friends knowing the status of their marriage, as I did not want to hurt them. But this was a disturbing thread that I discovered in these supposedly happily married couples. These were the every day jebronis that one comes across in campuses all over the world. These were the happy go lucky guys who used to bunk classes, hang out with girl friends, spend time in the canteen, sit in the back rows and perform the plays that I used to write back then.

What is going on in here folks? What happened to that love and romance that brought them closer in the first place?

I was expecting their responses along the following lines.

- " Jab biwi apna favorite song gununati hue mere seene pe apna sar rakh deti hai na - tab" ( Mullah says he would rather see his heart stop on this one!)

- Jab barishon ke kisi Sunday - mere liye bhajiye pakate wakt apna hath jala leti hai phir bhi apna dard bhool kar ye poochti hai ke bhajiye tasty hain – tab”.

- Jab woh kisi public place main apna dupatta utar kar mere gale main kisi mahobbat ki malaa ki trah daal deti hai - tab"

May be I am missing something here. May be 10 years of marriage and a couple of kids, work and societal pressure and responsibilities do this to you. May be men and women have always been incompatible creatures. May be men - women relation is always based on emotions and emotions come with high and low tides. May be romance is a gimmick played by NATURE to get a boy and a girl get hooked up for the production of babies. May be WE all got it wrong, and may be this is how it has been, and this is how it will be!

The question remains how in the world these couples are going to spend next thirty years together?

I don’t know --- neither do they, I suspect!

This is how it is in un-romantic lane…

4 comments:

soumya mukerji said...

This makes me think too... not if there is love and hope, but how, in such living, we can invoke the most beautiful feeling that has fallen asleep somewhere.

Jyoti said...

Romance is indeed fuel of life. Shaadi is said to be destination of love, then why it looses its "wajood" there?

Ye manzilen !! said...

Right said Soumya....In a few years how things change and men/women are left pretty much alone...

Ye manzilen !! said...

J,
May be because these jebronis start taking each other for garanted. No matter who takes you for granted, brother, it ain't pretty...