Thursday, June 04, 2015

Love, Dona!




"Love, Dona!"

"You go to a women's bedroom and "don’t do a thing" man???"

I did not go her bedroom...she took me there...
Okay, let me get this straight. She picks you up from home, takes you to a dinner and a movie...
And she teaches me how to play pools too
Okay, she takes you to a bar and teaches you how to play pool...
Yes
And then
She wanted to show me her apartment, so she took me her home.
And then
She wanted me to see her bedroom...
AND THEN?
And then I ask her to drop me home...

Tony unable to control his laughter gets out his truck and laughs away to glory.

Tony Ross, my immediate boss and I are sitting in a truck talking about my journeys in the last weekend.  Tony is an African American and like most African Americans he laughs with is body and soul.

I am able to secure an internship with GDOT and am responsible for the bridge constructions on GA 400 Buckhead Extension.

I am feeling offended with his non-stop laughter and he realizes it. It is a chilly morning. He comes back in the truck and tries to be nice.

"Look here man, I understand you from India and you all that, but THIS IS AMERICA. You don’t go to a woman's bedroom and don’t DO a thing. You insulted her man. By your action you told her she is not desire able.

The desire able girl under discussion is called M.A.  She had asked me out the last weekend. However, from Monday I had noticed a change in her attitude, so I was jiving with Tony to get to the bottom of the issue.

In my defense I throw the following words: "Emotions, Culture, Soul, Islam, Haram, Mental Block, Love, Poetry, Stranger etc." and I end my argument with " besides I am saving myself for my wife"

Tony erupts again.

{Note: In those days million years ago "saving yourself for your spouse" was a valid reason for not doing a lot of crazy things. I feel my generation is the last one that would produce Sufi saints and Rishis.}

“If not doing anything was an insult – I would do that again” - I declare.
“She wont give you a chance to insult her again man!”

Tony was right…

Tony is a character. Whenever I see him in the morning and say " Good Morning Tony" he wud always respond with " Too early for a good morning man, we have not seen the boss man yet".

He drops me home every day. That weekend episode was a topic of discussion among male employees for a while, and as a result Tony started calling me "Casanova without the Car!"

Winter, 1990. Restaurant

Why you need a car? Dona wants to know.

By this time, I have made enough money to buy a second hand car. I was looking for a go ahead from Dona. She has become my guardian angel in these months. So running things by her before doing was the norm.

I need a car because.... I tried to make up some crappy excuses.

Dona is a Georgia Tech graduate and is at a high position in a Railway company. She did not get to that position by listening some BS from idiots. She explains to me rationally why a car is not a good idea. I need to pay attention to studies.

I agree with her!

Earlier, Even though the court had given me a break my struggle was far from over. I had no money to pay $2100 tuition fee. The office of international students at Georgia Tech recommended me for an out of state tuition waiver which means I have to $610 only - a fee that long time residents of Georgia pay.

Dona arranged First Presbyterian Church at Peachtree Street to pay my in state tuition of $610.  At First Presbyterian, I meet some genuine people who made me feel like home.I visited Sunday school of the First Presbyterian many a times but never, ever anyone suggested or hinted that I convert to Christianity. Ever.

I still have the copy of the $610 that First Presbyterian issued to me!

Life is good!!





No comments: