Sunday, May 10, 2015

Love, Dona!


My birthday wishes card from her has arrived... It is card no 25.
Why 25? Coz she and I have known each other for 25 years!
In these 25 years, between US and India, I have changed my address at least a dozen times. But she always found my address to send me my birthday wishes. Every year....year after year!
A lot changes in 25 years....people meet, fall in love, drift away. Lots n lots of new experiences come and go. Career goes from Arsh to Farsh to somewhere in between. 25 years is a damn long time.....Time is cruel. It changes everything!
Not her...
This time, even time failed to change the arrival of this birthday card from her to me. Even though, at times, I failed in reciprocating the same on her birthday or chose internet cards to wish her. She always stuck to the paper card via snail mail. Same Hallmark card...same last two words " Love, Dona!"
This is her story...
Nov, 1989, Atlanta, GA
I am in serious depression. Have not been eating properly since my arrest. How could someone eat or sleep if the biggest dream of your life ( of getting education in America) just got busted. I am looking at a deportation form the US back to India. My crime: I was working off campus without proper INS permission.
One morning a couple of INS agent approached me in the gift shop I was working at and asked me " Are you Shahid Sayed?". I said " Yes I am"
"You are under arrest...lets go...." all they said and handcuffed me.
My world collapsed right before my eyes. I knew its over. They made me sit in the back of the police car like they do to hardened criminals. I have tears in my eyes. I am thinking of mother. How would she take this....How would she react to see me back in India without my Masters degree in Civil Engineering?
Tears pick up intensity....
I look at the streets of downtown Atlanta.....my story is over within 6 months of arrival in this exciting country. A country of hope, humanity and justice. Now, I will be deported for earning money to pay my bills, to save money for my tuition at Georgia Tech.......to stay alive!

No comments: