Monday, February 05, 2007

Fiddler on the roof...Superbowl 41 and a depressed Mullah

Went to see Fiddler on the roof, a musical written by Sholom Aleichem in 1894. Our desi drama group performed it Rafiq and Anuraag were part of it. Rafiq played Perchick the revolutionary student and did good job at it. I had invited Mullah Luis as well since he was feeling low this weekend.

When I saw him he was not the Mullah who makes un-usual observations and almost stupid comments, but a man deeply depressed.

Me: " Kiyoon Guru Dutt ban raha hai baap?"
Mullah: What? Say that in English
Me: Daant main dard hai kiya? You are having toothache?
Mullah: I am ok.
Me: Come on man cheer up. It is natural to miss a few "alphabets" in life, when they are no longer yours. But remember thankfully we have 26 in english (and many more in Indian languages as well, from Bengali to Telgu to Rajasthani), so one of them will have mercy on you...Kitne logon ko to zindagi ek shabd bhi mahobbat ka nahi deti...
Mullah: I do not need some one's mercy...
Me: Look here man, women are good at having mercy on jebronis like you, so don’t' disregard your best shot.

Mullah was not amused. I shut up and tried to have a serious discussion.

Me: Missed her this weekend?
Mullah: Nope.
Me: Why don’t' you find some one and get married?
Mullah: Do you think I enjoy this f***g single life man?
Me: Ok ok. Tell me what can I do for you? Unfortunately I am still interested in opposite sex else we would have gone to Boston to get married...
Mullah: Girls are not a problem they are plenty. Problem is what I want - they do not have?
Me: Man - that is scary. I am not going to ask you what you want in a woman. Let us keep it confidential.
Mullah: You know what I want.
Me: Spell it out man. Come on...
Mullah: I want f***g honesty, love - the real one not the perception of it, and I want it as my right and not as a privilege. Is that too much to ask?
Me: Why you think you deserve all that on a menu? Are you some special man?
Mullah: Only special folks deserve it?
Me: Yapp. Are you a prince? An heir apparent or you have a film in Oscars.
Mullah: What I am asking is not new; men since Adam have wanted that.
Me: Yeah true, but times have changed. Be thankful of whatever you get. Women are going through a revolution and they are in a state of transition. They have been mistreated for centuries and now when they have freedom and power, they are still doing trial and error to see what works and what does not in a relationship...

Mullah: Where are we going with this? Let us go see the play....

He was right - I had no clue where the hell I was going with that. I was speaking like a stand up comedian in a local joint, trying to make as little sense as possible! After the play Mullah did not stay to watch Superbow 41 between Indianapolis Colts and Chicago bears. Tomorrow is going to be a depressing day in America as the football season ended tonight.

BTW Colts won it by 29-17 and I am happy as I was rooting for them.

No comments: