Saturday, February 24, 2007

Doosra Kinara - Photography





Gandharv Bhagat was our Director of Photography. As you can see from his self-portrait here, he is immensely talented in that art. I like him because he is those rare people who keep thier ideologies intact no matter what country, city, and time zone they are in.

First film is always a challenge in ALL the departments, especially if you are an indie film producer. Gandharv did a good job and never said "not possible" to anything irrespective of the difficulty.

When we were shooting for the beginning sequence in which Kristi and Vikas are driving home on Atlanta freeways. The BMW we had was stick shift and Vikas never drove a stick shift. I had no option but to shoot that night. Driving on Atlanta highway is no fun, and anyone who drove on it can tell you. It is like a mad max all over. Even if you drive slowly meaning 70 MPH (110 KMPH) other drivers will put pressure on you to go fast. I was so scared inside, visualizing what if scenarios, especially knowing I had no shooting insurance. Everything went well, in fact we came back with some cool footage that night.

Creating India in the US was another challenge. We did our best to hide anything that we do not usually see in India. You will see a few weired angled shots and that is because we had no choice, and I wanted to avoid distractions in each frames.

Gandharv can found at:
- At an apple store near you
- Hockey Field at Georgia Tech
- In front of his " apple". He "converted” me from a Window user to a die-hard Mac fan and a user. I too bite my apple when I am home.

Ps: As far as my knowledge of photography is concerned, I know how to hold the camera - that’s all!

No comments: