Wednesday, June 20, 2007

It takes a call...


Last night I was at the Blockbusters when I received a call from an unknown number in India. I was surprised, as my folks in India are not known for their communication skills. It was a girl's voice, sweet and silky.

Caller: May I speak with Shahid Sayed please?
Me: Speaking, go ahead....
Caller: DADDY!! , main A*** bol rahi hoon. Kaise hain aap?
Me: What a surprise...Beta tum?

She kept talking, mostly inquiring about me. I was responding to her, but my mind was engaged in re-living that night of 1995 when she along with her parents were brought to me by a friend. They wanted me to help their only child with a favor. I was very disturbed and upset because of a death in the family. We were devastated at that untimely loss and this was the second day after the burial.

I had decided to excuse myself, as I was not in my senses to do anything. However, I met them as a courtesy to my friend. And there she was.... five year old kiddo with twinkles in her eyes and a nervous smile on her face. I shook hands with her father, bent down to greet her, looked into her eyes and then something in me took over...I agreed to their request.

From the very next morning I became her Daddy. I remember spending few hours with her in some place, which was full of other dads and moms. I remember getting stressed thinking what if this does not work out? This masoom’s life, or a part of her life depends on how well I perform in the next one hour. Her life or part of her life depends on MY ACTIONS... God, help me please as I do not want to let her down...

It worked just fine...we succeeded.

I could not keep in touch with her family, as I would have preferred. So, here she was after 12 years...

A: Daddy, aap yahan aa jayen.....mat rahe akele wahan...
Me: Beta hum to aaye the Bombay, and I wanted to stay as well...KISI NE ROKA HI NAHI..
A: Ab aap aayen main aap ko rokungi....
Me: Kal tumhari shaadi kar denge to tum apne ghar chali jaogi....
A: Mjhe apna career banana hai, nahi jaoongi aap ko chod kar, aap aa jaiye please..

This is life is all about I reckon. Full of surprises. I had no clue back in 1995, that a few hours of my investment would grow up to be a sensitive little girl who would not want to see her Daddy alone...

Meri Sweet Bacchi...!

8 comments:

faith said...

In 1st read i thought something else... then i read it again..

really very sweet.. nothing can beat those feelings.. so pure and true.. away from all selfish motives of world..

Ye manzilen !! said...

Yepp faith.
I always believed women were sent to provide some sanity to this insane World. They do it by palying various roles in a man's life from mother to friend to being a daughter...
:)

I am still enjoying that talk with my bacchi, it gave me so mcuh relief I can't tell u.

You have lived in this part of the World you know what I am talking about...(I know a girl who left US for India so that she can stay with her Dad - need I say more?

Jyoti said...

"Really it took a call only..."

Arti Honrao said...

Kisi ne sahi kaha hai ke
Rishtey woh hote hain jo dil se jode jaate hain!



GBU
Arti

Ye manzilen !! said...

Well said Aarti - I think it may even work if Rishton se hi dil joda jaye....magar woh bhi nahi hota aaj kal!

Thanks Jyoti. It did take a call only!

Someone had a comment on my comment, and wanted to know why poor wife does not figure in the list of "sanity providers"?

Well, the root cause of insanity...( I did not say that!)

Peace...

Nasia said...

ok. I didnt understand what help did you offer the 5 yr old?

Ye manzilen !! said...

Naasia,

I am sorry but dont think it would be right for me share that on the internet without her approval. However, thre is a clue for those that have kids as to what I might have done...

Spoke to her at lenght today. She is cool and like any other teenager knows wher she is headed. She is a good bacchi... she will be alright.

She again wanetd to know why am I living alone?.....I changed the topic....age helps sometimes...

All Talk and No Action said...

So has the Daddy decided to come back to India?