Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Bhupinder Singh



"Shahid ji, how would you like if we get Bhupinder ji to song your ghazal?"
"Which Bhupimder? Dil dhoondta Hai wale?"
"Yes....wohi"

I remember exactly where I was when Apurva ji called. I felt like I transported to the moon a minute.....my first film, my first ghazal going to be sung by a singer I grew up loving.....too good to be true!

Before that for about a few months we were looking for a singer in the Atlanta and neighboring areas. Apurva Ji would audition singers every week and reject them. After we exhausted all the potential singers he auditioned me as well. I was rejected in less than a minute....this is how my career in singing ended....

I was feeling depressed and frustrated and this call from Apurva ji lifted my spirits.

However, on the day of the recording I was away on a business trip to Burnswick, GA.  Sandhya ji, narrated this incident to me:

Bupinder ji, while rehearsing the ghazal realized a word not fitting in well so he mentioned that to her, who told him that "Shahid could not make it....please feel free to make changes as you like".

Bhupinder Ji said " Nahi rehne den.....without writer it would be improper to make changes. I will sing as he has written.."

So he sang my gahzal as is......

This is the material legends are made up of......

Respect!!

No comments: